Tuesday, April 23, 2013

King Lear


The betrayal Goneril and Regan inflict King Lear with helped him become sympatric and consciously aware of his mistakes.  Once Lear was stripped away from his leadership mentality he was reunited with Cordelia symbolizing insightfulness.
"Here I disclain all my paternal care" (1.1.113)
The disowning of Lear's daughter Cordelia symbolizes the begin of Lears journey. Lear is renouncing his power and material possession to Goneril and Regan whom manipulated there words to please him. However, Cordelia refuses to put her love in wors because it exceeds beyond Lear's ideology of love.

"Ask her forgiveness?
Do you but mark how this becomes the house -
(kneels) " Dear daughter I confess that I am old.
Age is unnecessary. On my kness I beg
That you'll give vouchsafe me raiment, bed and food"
(2.4.141-5)

Thou think'st 'tis much that this contentious storm
invades us to skin.  So 'tis to thee.
but where the greater malady is fixed
the lesser is scarce felt
(3.4.6-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment